Cloth diapering is awesome. In fact, I would definitely call myself an addict. But there are things I wish I'd known before starting. None of these things are deal breakers for me and some are actually just helpful little bits of information.
1. What works for one child, won't necessarily work in the same way for another. Just because you love prefolds and covers or bumGenius pockets on one baby, doesn't necessarily mean that you'll love it on the next child. Different diapers fit different babies in different ways.
2. Before trying every fancy cloth diaper detergent on the market, you might want to give some of the easier-to-find, cheaper options a try first. If they don't work, they don't work, but at least you gave it a shot.
3. Disposable wipes don't typically break down in the washing machine and can actually be used again after a run through the machine.
4. Dirty cloth diapers that sit in the pail for more than a day smell just as bad as disposable diapers. Lol.
5. One-size diapers DO fit most babies, but they're really bulky on a newborn. So, if bulk bugs you, skip the one-size options for now.
6. Newborn diapers truly only fit newborn babies. They won't last you long at all. Keep this in mind if you're on a really tight budget for diapers.
7. There are some awesome sites out there for reselling the diapers that aren't working for you. Check out www.diaperswappers.com for starters.
8. Cloth diaper stores like this one, along with the blogs and facebook pages, are FULL of information and run by some great people who love to help out with cloth diapering issues if you ever want to ask a question. :)
9. While there are lots and lots of cloth diapering mamas online, I am fairly alone here in my corner of the world and so get lots of questions and lots of funny looks. But to be fair, none of the questions or looks have killed me yet. Lol.
10. Not all of the places my children go (or will go in the future) are cloth diaper friendly. For example, not all day cares will do cloth diapers and not all church nurseries welcome them either.
Have a great Wednesday!