Make things from scratch, that's what! :) Today, I have this great chili recipe that I made just yesterday. I checked several websites to find the perfect combination of spices and ingredients since I can't just use a premixed chili packet or a can that acts as a chili starter (though they ARE good, I admit it!).
Here's what you'll need:
1. 1 lb hamburger meat
2. 1-2 cans reduced sodium kidney beans, drained and rinsed
3. 1 can diced tomatoes, no salt added
4. 1 small can of tomato sauce, again no salt added
5. a dash of salt
6. red pepper to taste
7. 1 tbsp chili powder
8. 2 tsp cumin
9. 1/4 tsp dry oregano
10. 1/2 cup-1 cup of white or yellow onion (as much as you'd like)
Here's what you'll do with it all:
1. Brown hamburger meat, adding the diced onion to the pan. Drain and pour into slow cooker.
2. Add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and beans. Mix well.
3. Add all spices, mix well again.
4. Cook on low heat 4-6 hours, stirring periodically.